Wednesday, January 02, 2008

School again?

Yes, it's true. I'm going back to school on Monday. Funny, it's as though six years of trying to finish a four-year degree taught me nothing. After headaches from transferring credits, paying tons of money (though now I am appreciating California education prices), getting good grades, trying to convince the California education system that I really had taken a Writing Intensive class (hence, the name Writing Intensive on said class) and shouldn't have to take their writing assessment as this is rather lost on an English major, and all the other school-related issues, I am again setting foot in that rushing river we call college. Let's hope I don't drown.
I tried to get my student ID card for the third time today, and finally they were open. Hard as it is to go on campus with Iris, I've been rather bitter toward them. I tried to get my card during finals week, when they informed me that they were not issuing them until the 10th of December. Needless to day, I didn't have much of a chance to make it over there, but tried again on December 31st. But, just to make sure, I called to find out if they were indeed open. All I got was a busy signal, then an answering machine. However, there was nothing odd posted online, so I headed over. I walked into the administration building, and every department was open. Good sign, right? Well, every department except for the ID center. But, third time's a charm, and we got in today.
As I was getting my picture taken (today was, of course, the only one of the three days that I didn't have time to do my hair or makeup--this picture will haunt me for the next four years!), the lady working asked me how old my then-sleeping baby was. I replies, "two and a half months." She then said, "Wow! And you're going back to school? You're so. . .so. . .what's the word I'm looking for?" "Crazy?" I supplied. She then assured me that the word she was looking for was more along the lines of ambitious. I still think crazy is correct.
We then went down to the bookstore and purchased a notebook and textbook, and so now I feel rather studious. And crazy. Talking with some friends the other night, I realized just how much work this is going to be--two years of classes to get into the program, two years to a master's degree. And then, that's not all of it. If I want to go on to get my doctorate later as I am planning to, I have to get a separate master's degree (mine will be in Teaching, a special category, rather than Education, which I plan to get my doctorate in). It's really a good thing that I like school!
Here is a little bonus, if I did it right (I'm rather technologically challenged). This is a video clip of Iris dancing in the mirror. If you turn the sound up, you can hear her little squeaks, and when she gets really wiggly at the end, that's all her. Sorry for the graininess--we took it with my little camera's video setting.

1 comment:

aprilidoodah said...

Hey Cara,

I agree with the ID card lady, your just ambitious is all. That's really awesome that you are heading back to school full steam!

As for me I just finished class number 7 of 12, only five more to go and then I'll finally be done!

Keep it up with the cute movies!
April