Monday, May 07, 2007

New weather, new car, new house!


Wow! We retrieved the summer clothes out of storage at just the right time! Not only is it sunny and warm today (and, man, it feels so much hotter when you're pregnant!), but it's going to stay this way, with only a 10% chance of precipitation (which in Oregon is actually still quite high)! So I'm sitting here, enjoying my after-school buzz (I think I had the best job ever today, and will be back tomorrow as well) in my sunny skirt and tank top, eating my Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt, and just enjoying a wonderful day! But I wanted to take my few minutes of sanity and solitude--well, make a few minutes, rather--to let you know what God is doing in our lives.
As you can see, I got my car in last week. It arrived on Friday, and we decided to take my belly picture (16 weeks!) with it this week. =) I have to say, I am so happy with this car. I feel fun and sporty, and it gets great gas mileage (though it will be even better when the new car feel wears off and we stop driving it like a sports car!). Needless to say, we were gone the entire weekend making up for all that time that we couldn't leave town.
The other big piece of news is that we are buying a house. This was a bit of a surprise to us, as we were starting to lose hope that we would find anything we really wanted in our price range. We had a "fallback" duplex that we had first dibs on when it went on the market, but we weren't that thrilled about that option. Everything we could afford was two-bedroom, only a little tiny bit of land, and most often a duplex. But then, a week ago Sunday, we saw a house that looked promising on Craig's List, and it was in our ideal price range. We kept thinking, "What's the catch?", but decided to take a look. We were actually the first people to look at the house (which never happens in Corvallis), though the owner was getting constant phone calls about it. We noticed that the owner said that she and her family were "blessed" by this house, which made us think that maybe she was a Christian (a Christian-owned house in Corvallis is a real blessing, as the town has perhaps more than it's share of darkness in many respects). We continued to look through the house and really liked what we saw. Then, as we were finishing up, she mentioned that the fridge came with the house. I looked, and saw a wedding picture from one of Josh's friends from high school and his new wife. I said, "So, you know Tim and Sabrina." Her response was, "I'm Sabrina's sister." As it turns out, not only do we have all sorts of friends in common (through Tim and Josh), but she teaches at Josh's little brother's school, goes to the same church as our apartment manager, and is definitely a strong Christian. It was pretty amazing the way everything worked out. So we told Aimee that we would go home and pray about it, and let her know soon what we wanted to do, and she said she would do the same. I have never had such a peace about such a big decision. I felt calm and peaceful, and we prayed on the way home. Then we turned right around and came back to make an offer, which they accepted.
Those of you who know our stories probably know that big things happen every single move that we make. This was just another wonderful example of God's providence, and we are so excited to see what He has in store. So let me tell you about the house. It's small (which we expected)--just under 1000 square feet. It has a one-car garage (so we can finally get our kayak out of my parents'), but it's built on a quarter acre lot, so the back yard is unbelievably huge, especially for the town and the price. We have so many plans for the yard! It is a three-bedroom one-bath, with lots of room for expansion. Plus, it even had air-conditioning (very rare in Oregon), which I wasn't looking for at all, but thought would be wonderful during this nice, hot pregnant summer! God really had the exact house in place for us, and we are so grateful that we waited on His timing! I will make sure to post pictures as soon as I can! God is so good!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I'm so excited for you guys! What an awesome way for God to bring you a house. This is an incredible year for you two.