Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vacation-Boston



I didn't mean for it to be quite so long between posts. I actually had a post all written up before we left on vacation, but somehow, it didn't quite make it onto the blog. So instead of the boring "we're leaving soon, I can't wait" post, you get the wonderful "this is what we did" post. Aren't you lucky?
I was very proud of our little family on this trip. Before we left, when we told people we were going to the East Coast for two weeks, they would ask if we were bringing Iris (like I'm going to leave my eight-month-old for two weeks!). However, even with her in tow, and all her paraphernalia, we were still able to pack as lightly as I wanted. If there's one thing I know how to do, it's to travel. Pack light, carry everything. We arrived at the airport on Wednesday night with two suitcases, two backpacks, a car seat, and a collapsible stroller. This arrangement was very nice for the ease with which it allowed us to switch between subways, trains, planes, and boats, which we did do quite a lot of. For the most part, the plane trip was quite good. The flight out wasn't full, and the lady at the gate gave us a whole row so that we could bring the car seat on the plane (without paying for the extra seat), and I wouldn't have to hold a sleeping Iris for five hours without moving. This worked out well, even when Iris turned to her preferred position of sleeping on her stomach in the car seat. And even though we were delayed on the tarmac for two hours out of Newark, Iris did remarkably well.
It was raining when we arrived in the Boston area. We were so exhausted from our trip that we walked downtown Concord (a very small area) and called it a day. With rain again the next day (and wondering if this was any better than being back in Oregon), we headed to Salem. Though most of the town has become very touristy with the whole witch-trial thing, we were able to glean some value. We even toured the House of Seven Gables, which got Josh interested in reading the book--a few well-spent dollars!
The following day we had the sun that we'd been hoping for, in abundance. Actually, we hit a heat wave. The temperatures soared into the high 90's, and with that New England humidity, we were drenched in sweat. Luckily, this was the day we decided to further explore Concord (my personal favorite on the entire trip). We visited the Concord branch of Minuteman National Park, which included the Old North Bridge, the site of the "shot heard around the world" and learned about the first skirmish of the Revolution. What interested me was to see the Old Manse--a house built by Emerson's grandfather, inhabited by Hawthorne, with a garden planted by Thoreau--and its proximity to the revolutionary site. Its fun to see the worlds of my imagination collide like that. We then headed out to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, where we visited the graves of Alcott, Hawthorne, Emerson, and Thoreau. A truly moving experience for me. The day was getting scorchingly hot, but we decided to tour the now air-conditioned house of Louisa May Alcott, where we found how all the writers of Concord were thoroughly interconnected. To finish off the day we cooled off with a swim in Walden Pond (and frightened Iris with the water), and stopped at a roadside stand for fried clams.
Here's the side note about frightening Iris--we wanted to take her swimming, and she was fine in the very shallow water. When we took her a little further, she wasn't too happy, and began to cling to me with everything she had. Then we thought it would be funny for her to watch Josh dunk (the water was a bit chilly), but when he did, she let out the most terrified scream I've ever heard. Since then, she has not been okay with any water other than what's in her ducky bath tub.
So on we went on our journey to Plimouth Plantation, a recreated Pilgrim and Native American village. Very interesting to see the costumed characters and to discuss ways of life with them. And then we came to our final day in the Boston area, in which we decided to travel into Boston itself (we didn't have nearly enough time in this area). So on Monday, we walked the Freedom trail, explored Quincy Market, and arrived too late (for the second time in my life) to tour Paul Revere's house. Oh, yes. And the clam chowder place that I'd been telling Josh about for months (the best clam chowder I've ever had), Jacob Wirth's, was closed the one day we tried it. So, I guess we'll have to go back.
I don't want to bore you with our entire trip in one post, and I'm getting a little tired of writing, so consider this "installment one". I will write more later about Newport and Washington. Now I'm off to enjoy the sun that has finally come to Oregon to stay, and read some professional books (maybe I can sneak The Host in there somewhere!). Oh, and I have all of our pictures up on flickr now, so feel free to view our vacation there.

No comments: